The Apprenticeship Program at Taino Farm is designed to facilitate advanced skill development in sustainable agriculture while working and living on the farm. Our site has a team of specialists and a support staff that will facilitate your learning and development of skills pertaining to a permaculture, aquaponics, compost tea, and eco-tourism management. This program is different from the Advanced Permaculture Apprenticeship in its duration and intensity level. Taino’s Apprenticeship Program is meant for those that have more time to dedicate to learning at a slower, more organic pace, whereas the Advanced Permaculture Apprenticeship is offered for those who want an intensive, faster paced learning environment.
- Herb spiral, terrace garden, annual garden, food forest, edible hedgerows, composting facility, large scale compost tea extract and brewing, plant propagation, seed saving, bed preparation, organic pest control, organic disease control, general plant management & harvesting
- Plan implementation
- Principals of design
- Composting (Worm, thermal, and static)
- Soil food web
- Natural building techniques
- Sustainable energies
3. Compost tea and compost extract in large scale creation
4. Eco-tourism site management (promotion, tour guide, site prep for events, organic menu development/ farm fresh cooking, value added product development and market sales)
- Lectures and workshops
- Garden and field based
- Practical skills classes
- Eco adventures
- Field trips
- Enthusiastic, self driven people, able to take initiative, creative energy
- Weekly journals/ blog updates
- Regimented work and education hours:
7:00am – 9:00am: watering, site observation, daily chores
9:00am – 10:00am: breakfast (cook, eat, clean)
10:00am – 12:000am: projects, heavy labor, harvesting, washing
12:00pm – 3:00pm lunch & downtime
3:00pm – 5:00pm projects & evening chores (watering, mulching, harvesting for dinner)
2 days a week – lectures in the afternoon session
Pricing and Programming:
While the educational component of the apprenticeship program does not cost anything, students are expected to cover their overhead costs which are $25/ day. This covers all instructional material, lab technologies, field equipment, three meals a day, a place to pitch your tent (or you may upgrade to an eco-hut, depending on availability), access to free surf rentals in Cabarete, and gym use at Extreme Hotel.
The Apprenticeship Program is designed to run for a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum of 2 months. This allows students the flexibility to choose and to build a program that works for themselves, their schedules, and their budget. Please contact us to discuss your desired learning outcomes and find a time frame that works for you.
We are now accepting students for the spring season from March 15 – May 30, 2013
You will receive a Completion Report outlining the learning outcomes and deliverables that you achieved during your Apprenticeship Program. During your time at Taino, you can work with your instructors to facilitate learning and growth in the areas that you’re interested in. You will develop your design and planning portfolio, gain experience with farm management, and work in a progressive sustainable eco-tourism site.